My husband raved about this soup after tasting it at a local deli. This is my version, which he says is very close. It is thick and satisfying, and alot easier to prepare than lasagna!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups small shell pasta (shells, elbows, etc.)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In large soup pot, brown beef& sausage with onion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add pasta to pot along with all remaining ingredients.
- Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with garlic bread& salad, if desired.