My husband raved about this soup after tasting it at a local deli. This is my version, which he says is very close. It is thick and satisfying, and alot easier to prepare than lasagna!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups small shell pasta (shells, elbows, etc.)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In large soup pot, brown beef& sausage with onion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add pasta to pot along with all remaining ingredients.
- Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with garlic bread& salad, if desired.
This was good and really easy to make but it lost a star because it is really sweet. I think I would eliminate the tomato soup and use tomato sauce instead, then add a pinch of sugar to cut some of the acidity. The canned tomato soup flavor was really noticeable. I plan to try it again, however, with a few alterations. FOLLOW UP 7/08: I made the soup again and substituted tomato sauce for the tomato soup and added a whole can of diced tomatoes instead of just 1 cup. Only changes I made and we liked it so much better. This is now a 5 star recipe in my book! Thanks for sharing!
Very hearty, meaty and filling. I used all sausage ad no beef because that's how my kids like their lasagna. I also used ricotta for the cottage cheese. The flavor was fantastic. I'll be making this again this winter. Thax for sharing!
Yum! 5-star recipe alert! I loved this and so did my husband .. thanks!