Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple, low maintenance risotto recipe that is the easiest I've ever seen! Another amazing recipe from the Best of Bridge ladies, who are from my hometown in Alberta. Go vegetarian with veggie broth. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced (you can use button or crimini)
- 2 shallots or 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup short-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 bunch asparagus spear, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- fresh basil (optional) or parsley (optional)
- In large saucepan, heat oil and cook mushrooms, shallots, garlic and pepper until vegetables are tender but not brown.
- Add rice and cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir broth and wine into rice mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes (do not lift cover). Remove from heat.
- Stir in carrots, asparagus, Parmesan and lemon zest. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Add a little additional water, if necessary for the desired consistency.'.
- Garnish with basil or parsley.