Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
I like to add in Marsala into the ricotta mixture, but you can omit if desired. Use your own favorite pie pastry recipe for this. Amaretti biscuits can be purchased in the Italian section of any major supermarket.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry (to fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate)
- 2 cups full-fat ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar (increase sugar for more sweetnes)
- 1 tablespoon marsala
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups amaretti, coarsley crushed
- For pie pastry into a 9-inch glass pie plate, flute edges and chill while making the filling.
- To make the filling; in a large bowl place the ricotta, whipping cream, eggs, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (or more if desired) Marsala, lemon zest, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract and flour; mix well to combine.
- Sprinkle the crushed amaretti biscuits over the unbaked pie shell.
- Spoon the ricotta filling over the crushed biscuits and spread out evenly.
- Place the unbaked pie in the fridge for 20-25 minutes.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 1-1/4 hours or until firm to the touch (might take a little less or more time).
- Turn the oven heat off and leave the door a little open.
- Leave the pie in the oven with heat off until oven is cool.
- Cool completely before slicing.
This pie is delicious! I made it with a graham cracker crust as I had some graham crumbs that I wanted to use up. That being the case, this time I omitted the amaretti crumbs. If I should make it with a baked pie crust, I will definitely add them.