1/2 Photos of Linda's Fantabulous Italian Sausage and Peppers for a Crowd
Secret Agent's Note:
This is my favorite dish to serve at a Pot Luck buffet. You can serve it in a bowl, over pasta or rice, or as a sandwich. I never have one spec of this recipe left over. It is hands down my most requested dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs italian sweet sausage
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 onions, large, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 6 bell peppers, red, orange and yellow, cored, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup parsley, flat leaf, chopped
- 2 cups water (more or less)
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Spread the oil in the pan.
- 2Prick the sausage links to keep them from splitting open while cooking and to avoid getting burned by hot grease. If you like, you can use all sweet or any combination of sweet to hot you like(separate the links).
- 3Brown the sausages very slowly in the skillet for 40 minutes or until browned all over and sticky.
- 4If you can, slice them on the diagonal about 1/2 inch thick while they are still in the pan to preserve any liquids and tasty bits. If you can't slice in the pan just do it on a platter to reserve that goodness and re-introduce it to the pan - use a little water to rinse the juices back to the pan.
- 5Add the garlic and sliced onions to the pan and cook until they are carmelized and soft. You may add water at this point to help loosen the fond, deglazing the pan. Once the pan is deglazed add the herbs to the pan. This may take another 20 minutes to cook.
- 6Add the peppers and the rest of the water and cook for another 20 minutes. You don't want your peppers to lose all of their color so eyeball them.
- 7Store in the fridge overnight. In the morning dump everything into crock pots to re-heat and cook on low for 2 - 4 hours. I sometimes reheat in a pan to make sure everything is up to temp before the party.
- 8A lot of people think there are tomatoes in this dish but there are not.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's Fantabulous Italian Sausage and Peppers for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.5
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 1179.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 26.4 g