Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I used to make this all the time and I'd forgotten all about it. This recipe is delicious. You can easily double this if you want to. It makes a great dinner, but also a great 1st course if you have company coming. Takes just minutes to make. It's from 1996 Bon Appetit. I'd serve it with garlic bread and a nice mixed salad. You are going to need to reserve some of the pasta water, so don't forget! ;-)
- 1⁄2 lb linguine
- 4 rolled anchovies over capers, from 2-ounce tin, anchovies crushed
- oil, reserved
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned calamari, thinly sliced crosswise (squid)
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaf
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat reserved oil from anchovies (about 2 tablespoons) in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add calamari and toss just until opaque, about 1 minute. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and crushed anchovies with capers and stir 1 minute.
- Add white wine; boil until sauce is slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Mix in basil.
- Add pasta to mixture in skillet. Toss until heated through and sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if pasta seems dry, about 2 minutes.
- Divide pasta and calamari between
- 2 plates and serve.
Oh wow! This is so very, very good. The sauce is wonderfully flavored with the garlic, basil, anchovies and wine and the calamari perfectly tender.