1 hr 30 mins
I no longer remember where I got this recipe. I've had it for many years. I don't make it often because it's labor-intensive, but every time I make it, there are no leftovers. My squash-hating children love it. You can substitute multiple ingredients (e.g. ground beef for the turkey, onion for the scallions, marinara sauce for the tomato sauce, egg beaters for the egg, even yellow squash for the zucchini.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium zucchini (6 to 8 inches each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (at least 93% fat free)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- 1Slice the zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp and chop it. (This is the hardest part, and I've never come up with an easy way to do it.).
- 2In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. The add the zucchini pulp and saute another 3 minutes. Drain the mixture in a colander and set aside.
- 3In the same skillet saute the turkey until it is cooked. Drain it in the colander with the zucchini pulp.
- 4Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the zucchini boats in the sauce.
- 5In a large bowl, combine the turkey-zucchini mixture, the egg, breadcrumbs, crushed red pepper, basil and oregano, or any other combination of Italian seasonings you prefer. (You can also use seasoned breadcrumbs if you like.) Mix well and spoon into the zucchini boats. Top with parmesan cheese.
- 6Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.6
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 96.4 mg
- Sodium 791.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 19.9 g