Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy casserole. Great for a busy day, not much effort. I found it in Crazy Casseroles by James Villas.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook macaroni until just tender (about 7 min.).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 2L baking dish and layer with 1/2 the macaroni, then 1/2 the cheese, then the other rest of the macaroni.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir until well blended.
- Pour liquid over casserole.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Pour in enough milk to cover all the pasta, but NOT the top layer of cheese.
- Bake until the custard is slightly firm and the top lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I made this for Thanksgiving and it reminded me of my grandmother's recipe. I, too, was a little afraid not knowing how much milk to add, and found it a tad dry. I'll tweak it again when I make it. Thanks for sharing!
Well, this started out as a disaster for me, but in the end it worked out! After getting done most of the layering, I realized a 2 qt. dish was not going to be large enough, so I had to transfer it to a 2.5 qt. That turned out to be messy and the layers were pretty much not layers anymore! It turned out good in the end, but I did need more than 25-30 minutes (more like 45) and it did seem like it needed more cheese. Also, not knowing exactly how much milk to add in the end had me worried. I will probably make this again, but use a little more cheese and start out with a larger casserole dish! Thanks for sharing.
This was yummy - it was the first time i've ever made homemade mac & cheese n let me tell u it's way btter than the boxed stuff and easy!