1 hr 30 mins
This Lasagna is nearly fat free. It is also cholesterol free, and by using whole wheat noodles it is extremely healthy and satisfying. Everyone absolutely loves it. I don't tell them it is a vegan lasagna until they are headed for their 3rd helping. To see photos and get more of my vegan recipes see my blog at http://worldwidevegan.blogspot.com TVP is textured vegetable protein. It is highly nutritious, has twice the protein of beef, and it has no fat or cholesterol. It absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients in the recipe while offering the texture and appeal of ground meat. Packaged TVP granules are available in health food stores, grocery stores and online. Tofu comes in many varieties but for this recipe use firm, water packed tofu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 (26 ounce) bottles spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2/3 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 13 1/4 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 8 ounces soy mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Sauté the mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic over medium heat in 2 tbs. water until tender. Remove from heat. Add the spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, seasoning salt and TVP granules - set aside.
- 3Place the tofu and spinach in a food processor and blend briefly. Add remaining filling ingredients and process until smooth.
- 4Pour half of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 11x13-inch, prepared pan. Place a layer of uncooked noodles over the sauce.
- 5Spread half of the tofu mixture on top of the noodles. Drop by spoonfulls and then spread it evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 of the soy cheese blend on top of tofu mixture.
- 6Cover with another layer of noodles. Spread the remaining tofu mixture over the noodles as before. Sprinkle remaining soy cheese on top of tofu mixture. Top with a final layer of noodles.
- 7Pour on the remaining tomato sauce and spread evenly. If desired sprinkle sliced olives on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes. The noodles will bubble up making the top look uneven when done. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
- 8This dish freezes very well.
- 9TVP can be found in most grocery stores where the "Bob's Red Mill" organic foods are sold; or you can purchase it online.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Man Friendly Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 654.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein
soy mozzarella cheese