3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is a WONDERFUL recipe for manicotti. Conagra Foods makes both Angela Mia and Hunts, so Angela Mia would also be alright to use if you do not see Hunts. If you have questions email me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large manicotti
- 2 -3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided in half)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
Marinara Sauce (use 2 cups)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans hunts chunky crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans hunts tomato paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (cut in halves)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, in juice (from jar)
- 1 shallots (diced) or 1/2 small onion
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano (diced)
- 4 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Empty Hunts chunky crushed tomatoes and Hunts tomato paste into the pot. Add the extra-virgin olive oil to the pot. Slice the cloves of garlic crosswise into either halves or thirds or pieces, and dump them into the pot. Dice the shallot, and dump that into the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir to mix well with a large long handled wooden spoon. Do not strain, as the pulp adds to make this a thick and wonderful sauce.
- 2Cover and cook on medium heat, stirring every 10 minutes for about an hour or until it bubbles and is completely heated throughout. Reduce heat to simmer, and continue to simmer, stirring every 10 or 15 minutes to keep from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot for 1 or 2 hours. Remove from heat and give it one last stir.
- 3Serve over spaghetti, ravioli, pasta or use for chicken parmesan, veal parmesan, or anything that calls for a marinara sauce. NOTE: Use only Hunts Chunky Crushed Tomatoes and Hunts Tomato Paste.
- 4Manicotti Recipe:.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- 7Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water. Allow pasta to dry on paper towels.
- 8For the filling, in a medium bowl, stir together half of the mozzarella cheese with the ricotta cheese and the basil.
- 9Using a teaspoon, carefully stuff the pasta shells with the prepared cheese mixture.
- 10Spoon 1 cup of the marinara sauce into the baking dish and spread it evenly.
- 11Arrange the stuffed pasta over the sauce and pour the remaining sauce over top of the pasta.
- 12Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- 13Bake the manicotti for 15 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with the grated parmesiano-reggiano cheese and bake for another 10 minutes and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Manicotti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manicotti
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1284.7
- Calories from Fat 750
- Total Fat 83.3 g
- Saturated Fat 37.6 g
- Cholesterol 196.9 mg
- Sodium 4006.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 65.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning