Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Donna Hay's Autumn Issue 2 (from about 2001 I think). I added more vanilla (you can reduce this to half if you only like a slight vanilla taste) and used raw sugar (not as sweet). I have made this with espresso as well (see separate recipe). Looks great in a clear glass so you can see the pretty marbled effect (and no messy unmoulding!) Time doesn't include refrigeration time.
- 1⁄2 cup berries
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Berry puree - Put berries & raw sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool totally.
- When cool, sieve to remove pips & set aside.
- Panna Cotta - Put cream, powdered sugar & vanilla bean in a saucepan over low heat & simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by approximately one third. Remove from the heat.
- Put gelatine in a bowl, cover with the milk & stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir into cream mixture and simmer for 1 minute longer.
- Remove vanilla bean & allow mixture to cool.
- Put a spoonful of the berry puree in the bottom 4 clear glass moulds/ramekins/glasses, swirling it up the side of each one.
- Fill immediately with cooled panna cotta mixture. Cover & refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until firm.
Great recipe for panna cotta! I never sieve the berry pips out from anything, they are full of nutrients, by the way.
Yum! This was such an easy desert and very pretty for dinner guest. I made this recipe for Little Miss (DD) and at the same time I made Espresso Marbled Panna Cotta for hubby, both recipes use the same Panna Cotta mixture, so the whole family was happy. Kept to the recipe except used lactose free milk, cream and vegan gelatine. I had a little trouble with the berry puree, I think I left it on the stove for to long and was unable to strain it properly so I used the seeds as well. However it didn't take away from the taste, just didn't have the marble affect. Thank you LittleKiwiChook - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4*