1/1 Photo of Marie's Turkey Osso Bucco
5 hrs 30 mins
Callinectes Sapidus's Note:
A less expensive but equally as rich-tasting slow-cooker version of the traditional Osso Bucco. Do NOT use boneless turkey meat as the dark meat of the leg and thigh as well as the bones contribute greatly to the taste of the finished product. Osso Bucco is tradionally served over Risotto Milanese and this is wonderful that way; but it's just as good over saffron or plain white rice. Leftovers seldon occur, when they do...they are even tastier then the first day. This dish freezes superbly!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 whole turkey legs, cut at joints into drumsticks and thighs, skin removed (about 3-1/4 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1Rub thyme over turkey; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to 6-quart slow cooker. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; sauté 8 minutes. Stir in 4 minced garlic cloves. Transfer vegetables to slow cooker. Add wine to skillet; boil until reduced by 1/3, about 1 minute. Pour wine and tomatoes with juice over turkey. Cover; cook on high until turkey is very tender and falls off bone, about 5 1/2 hours.
- 2Mix parsley, lemon zest, and remaining garlic in bowl for gremolata. Using slotted spoon, remove turkey from pot. Pull meat from bones; divide meat among 6 bowls. Season sauce with salt and pepper; spoon over turkey. Sprinkle with gremolata.
- 3Makes 6 main-course servings.
- 4Per serving: calories, 198; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 89 mg; fiber, 4 g.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marie's Turkey Osso Bucco
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.4
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 193.1 mg
- Sodium 517.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 55.1 g