Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fresh flavor with little effort, perfect for summer! Adapted from Southern Living magazine. Cook time is chill time.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups ice water
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- parmesan cheese, curls (optional)
- French bread (optional)
- Mix onion slices and 4 cups ice water in a large bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, 2 tbls. water, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic. Stir in basil and parsley.
- Layer half of the tomato slices in a shallow dish. Top with half of the onion slices. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Repeat with remaining tomato slices, onion slices and dressing. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan curls, if using, and serve with French bread. Serve at room temperature.