Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the genuine article. It is very expensive in the stores, but doesn't take much effort to make at home.
- 1 quart cream (not ultra-pasteurized if possible)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tartaric
- Heat CREAM to 180 degrees F (82C).
- Add 1/4 t TARTARIC ACID.
- Stir for about 10-15 minutes.
- The cream should thicken with small flecks of curd.
- Using a DOUBLE layer of FINE cheesecloth in a strainer, pour off the whey and let it drain for about an hour.
- Put the strainer in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to drain overnight (or 12 hours).
- In the morning, scoop out the cheese and put into an airtight container.
- **Tartaric Acid is available from any cheesemaking supply company and most wine making companies.
- Since at home winemaking is much more common, look in your phone book for a local winemaking supply store.
- Many wine and liquor stores carry wine making supplies and may have tartaric acid.