This is a comforting dish to serve to the family and can be made in advance ready to reheat the next day. Both the meatballs and the sauce can be made in advance and chilled in the fridge until ready to assemble and cook. Or the whole dish can be made and frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating thoroughly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 1/2 ounces penne
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped (from a jar will do)
- 14 ounces tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2/3 cup beef broth or 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 1/2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1Set the oven to 350°F.
- 2Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10 mins until just tender but still with a little bite.
- 3Mix together the beef, egg, oregano, 1oz of the breadcrumbs and season well with salt and pepper.
- 4Mix well and shape into about 20 meatballs.
- 5Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the meatballs for about 10 mins, turning occasionally until browned.
- 6Add the red pepper, pasta sauce and the beef broth or red wine. Bring to the boil.
- 7Stir the drained pasta into the meatballs and pour into a large baking dish.
- 8Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, mozzarella and thyme and bake until golden and bubbling.
- 9Serve with a large green salad and crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 769.2
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 149.7 mg
- Sodium 593.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers
tomato and basil pasta sauce