1/2 Photos of Meatball Sub Sandwich Casserole
1 hr 5 mins
Winter supper at its best! Comfort food with a tantalizing sauce & lovely meatballs. Get the kids in on the act, rolling meatballs is fun and gooshy (okay, everyone, "Wash your hands first!"). Thanks to Taste of Home's Quick Cooking 2000 year book for their inspiration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or 1/4 cup crushed saltine
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground venison
- 1 loaf Italian bread, 1-inch cubes (1 lb loaf)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (no substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs (basil, oregano...)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce (or 28 oz can)
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2In a bowl, combine onions, crumbs & cheese; add beef and mix well.
- 3Shape beef into 1-inch balls; place on rimmed cookie sheet; bake for 15-20 minutes (no longer pink in center); turn oven down to 350.
- 4Meanwhile, arrange bread cubes in an UNgreased 13x9 pan.
- 5Combine cream cheese, mayo, seasonings, and S&P; spread over bread.
- 6Sprinkle one cup Mozzarella cheese over the cream-cheese mixture layer.
- 7Combine sauce, water & garlic; add meatballs and gently mix; pour this over the cheese layer.
- 8Sprinkle remaining Mozzarella.
- 9Bake (uncovered) at 350 for 30 minutes (top will be bubbly and quite fragrant).
- 10OPTIONS: Use half Cheddar and half Mozzarella; try some sliced black olives; sprinkle some grated zucchini in for added nutritional value (and get a few veggies past the kids!--it's the secret ingredient).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Sub Sandwich Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 776.9
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 129.7 mg
- Sodium 1701.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs