Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I decided to make my own sauce because all the sauces I got in the store and at resturats was too watery and didn't have much flavor. I got the idea for making the sauce from a movie called "Goodfellas". And it turned out great.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (I use organic fire roasted tomatoes)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use very thinly sliced fresh garlic so it liquifs in the olive oil)
- 2 -3 table spoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, diced (optional)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (or use ground beef from chuck)
- black pepper (to taste)
- combine crushed tomatoes, tomatoe paste and spices in a large pan and bring to a simmer.
- In a skillet comine Olive Oil, minced garlic, diced onion and meat. Cook until meat is done and onion is soft.
- Add meat, onion, garlic, olive oil to simmering tomatoe sauce.
- let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Enjoy over spaghetti noodles.