Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
We love this soup and it is easy to make. It is a stovetop recipe that I got out of one of my church cookbooks and adapted to use in my crockpot.
- 2 Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (diced)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach (optional)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup macaroni or 3⁄4 cup rigatoni pasta, uncooked
- parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese, grated
- Saute the pepperoni/sausage, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and zucchini in a non-stick pan.
- Place the tomatoes, bouillon, water, spinach, kidney beans, basil, oregano, and wine into the crockpot and turn onto low.
- Add the sauted meat and vegetables to the crockpot and cook on low for 6- 8 hours.
- Approximately 1/2 hour before you're ready to eat, put the 3/4 cup of uncooked noodles into the crockpot and stir into the soup.
- Turn the crockpot to high for this last 1/2 hour.
- If desired, sprinkle some of the grated cheese on top of the soup once it has been ladled into individual bowls.
- (I grate the cheese into bowls and let everyone put as much or as little on they like).
Made a few deletions (red wine and zucchini) but otherwise prepared as directed. Turned out deliciously!
Tasty, simple and filling. A good recipe as it is, and easy to modify to suit your tastes. Thank you, KarenLV!
Rereading this recipe, I realized that I meant to write rotini noodles instead of rigatoni - of course, any noodles will do really. Also, you can use mild or hot Italian sausage - whatever you prefer!