This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis. Mmmmmm....this is on the table in less than an hour! You can use any combination of meats to equal 1-1/2 pounds.
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces ground veal
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 26 ounces marinara sauce
- 12 (3 -3 1/2 inch) Italian rolls, split, warm
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- To make the meatballs, whisk the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the cheese and bread crumbs.
- Mix in the meats.
- Using about 2 tablespoons meat for each, shape into 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch meatballs. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain off excess oil.
- Add the marinara sauce and simmer over medium-low heat until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the sandwiches: spoon the hot meatballs with some sauce over the bottoms of the the rolls.
- Place 1/2 slice provolone on the top of meatballs and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Spread more sauce of the rolls tops, the flod the tops of the rolls over and serve.