1/3 Photos of Moonstruck Eggs
In response to a request for a recipe similar to one made in the movie "Moonstruck," I typed this up from memory. The measurements are all estimated, so by all means, feel free to experiment. You may substitute bottled roasted peppers if you like, adding them after the onions are almost done cooking. Roasting the fresh peppers takes about 10-15 minutes - the eggs only take about 5
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a small amount of olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
- 2Add sliced red peppers, sliced onions, and crushed garlic and saute until vegetables are soft& tender, but not mushy.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, remove peppers& onions to a plate and keep warm.
- 4Drain excess oil, if necessary, leaving just enough to keep bread and eggs from sticking to your pan.
- 5Reduce heat to low.
- 6You may even need to add a bit more oil depending on your pan.
- 7Make a nest in each slice of bread by tearing out some of the center and set bread slices into skillet.
- 8Let the bread brown for a few seconds, then flip over.
- 9Immediately crack an egg into the nests of each slice of bread and cook until eggs are set to your liking.
- 10You may flip over if desired, but it will not be as attractive as sunny side up.
- 11(Tip: If you place a lid over your pan after you crack the eggs, this will help the yolks cook faster.) The trick is to work quickly and also not to have heat set too high or you will burn your eggs/bread.
- 12While the eggs are cooking, you may return the vegetables to the pan and push them to one side to reheat them if necessary.
- 13Serve eggs with the roasted peppers& onions on top of egg nests or on the side.
- 14Season with salt& pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moonstruck Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.4
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 423.0 mg
- Sodium 374.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 16.5 g