Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A very nice recipe based on one from the Sunset Quick Cuisine cookbook. Its intro entices, "Moist and creamy, this risotto is laced with mushrooms and crowned with a meaty tomato sauce." I would start with the Italian Sausage Sauce so that its flavors blend while you make the Mushroom Risotto; otherwise, the original recipe says to make the Sausage Sauce while the risotto is simmering for the 15 minutes.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SAUCE
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium pear-shaped tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
FINISH WITH MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb small mushroom, each quartered
- 1 small garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice (imported Italian rice) or 1 cup short-grain rice (pearl)
- 2 3⁄4 cups regular-strength chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE SAUCE:.
- Remove casings from the sausage and crumble meat into a 10-inch frying pan.
- Add sliced onion. Saute over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until sausage is browned. Drain to remove fat.
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt, tomato paste, and wine to pan. Bring to the boil; reduce heat and boil gently, uncoverd stirring often, until sauce is thickened (approximately 10 minutes). Keep warm.
- MUSHROOM RISOTTO:.
- Melt butter with oil in a heavy 2-quart pan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent but not browned and liquid has evaporated. Add garlic, white pepper, and rice. Cook, stirring, until rice looks opaque (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in broth and wine; bring mixture to a boil. Simmer rice at a gentle boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add cream to rice mixture. Cook until rice is just tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (about 5 minutes; rice should still be al dente without tasting starchy). Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon rice into a warm serving bowl and top with sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve remaining 1/4 cup cheese to add to taste.
Yum, Yum, Yum! What a fantastic dish! The risotto was so creamy and by itself would have made a delicious side. Next time I will be adding extra mushrooms though. For the meat sauce, I used 3/4 lbs of sausage, plus I had one andouille sausage link leftover from another dish that I chopped up and threw in. I really liked the little bit of heat it added. I did cook the meat sauce ahead of time as suggested, and it gave the flavors extra time to blend while waiting on the risotto. I will definitely be making this again! Made for PAC Spring 2009.