1/1 Photo of Mushroom Risotto With Italian Sausage Sauce
A very nice recipe based on one from the Sunset Quick Cuisine cookbook. Its intro entices, "Moist and creamy, this risotto is laced with mushrooms and crowned with a meaty tomato sauce." I would start with the Italian Sausage Sauce so that its flavors blend while you make the Mushroom Risotto; otherwise, the original recipe says to make the Sausage Sauce while the risotto is simmering for the 15 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SAUCE
- 1/2-3/4 lb Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium pear-shaped tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
FINISH WITH MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb small mushroom, each quartered
- 1 small garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice (imported Italian rice) or 1 cup short-grain rice (pearl)
- 2 3/4 cups regular-strength chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
- 1ITALIAN SAUSAGE SAUCE:.
- 2Remove casings from the sausage and crumble meat into a 10-inch frying pan.
- 3Add sliced onion. Saute over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until sausage is browned. Drain to remove fat.
- 4Add tomatoes, basil, salt, tomato paste, and wine to pan. Bring to the boil; reduce heat and boil gently, uncoverd stirring often, until sauce is thickened (approximately 10 minutes). Keep warm.
- 5MUSHROOM RISOTTO:.
- 6Melt butter with oil in a heavy 2-quart pan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent but not browned and liquid has evaporated. Add garlic, white pepper, and rice. Cook, stirring, until rice looks opaque (about 2 minutes).
- 7Stir in broth and wine; bring mixture to a boil. Simmer rice at a gentle boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 8Add cream to rice mixture. Cook until rice is just tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (about 5 minutes; rice should still be al dente without tasting starchy). Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- 9Spoon rice into a warm serving bowl and top with sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve remaining 1/4 cup cheese to add to taste.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Risotto With Italian Sausage Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (789 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.7
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.3 mg
- Sodium 1384.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 20.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: