1/3 Photos of My Favorite Calzone
Bird's favorite calzone and filling (ok, Buddha loves it too). This is made using Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust. You can make one large calzone, or divide the dough into two or four and have small individual servings. You can add a side of warmed 2bleu's 2 Minute 2 Easy Pizza Sauce, but we enjoy it 'as is'. You can bake the calzones, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, and then freeze the calzones for up to one month, just defrost in microwave, then re-heat on your pizza stone for 10 minutes in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven. You can add your own fillings of choice, and if you add marinera or pizza sauce inside a calzone, it becomes a wonderful stromboli!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 recipe pizza dough (Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust)
- 12 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces deli ham, shredded (or sliced super thin and chopped)
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage, crumbled, cooked, and drained well on paper towels
- 1 egg (mixed with 1 tsp water)
- 1Place oven rack on bottom rack of the oven. (If you have a baking stone, place that on rack). Preheat oven to 500°F.
- 2Make Buddha's Pizza Pie Crust according to instructions. Cut ball of dough to however many calzones you are making. DO NOT CUT if making one large calzone. You can cut it to a maximum of 4 calzones.
- 3Roll out balls of dough (one at a time) on a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Carefully place on a peel that has been lightly dusted with flour (or with a sheet of parchment paper that can slide off onto the stone).
- 4Keeping a 1/2" rim, place the ingredients as follows; ricotta cheese, mozzarella, ham, and then sausage onto one half of the round dough.
- 5Brush egg wash over 1 half of the RIM ONLY (around the filling side). Fold dough over to form a half moon shape. Press edges firmly to seal and/or tuck underneath.
- 6Cut slits (3 for a large, 2 for medium, and 1 for small) in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush tops very lightly with remaining egg wash. Bake 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Favorite Calzone
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.0
- Calories from Fat 317
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 1535.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 41.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
recipe pizza dough