Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Italian flavors blend in a creamy, satisfying soup that has potatoes, italian sausage, and kale. I like a kick, so I use spicy sausage and add crushed red pepper flakes. The heavy cream really pulls this soup together and makes it restaurant-worthy! Don't forget a fresh, crusty loaf of bread for dipping.
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 medium white onions, diced
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (I use Hormel brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 5 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (to taste)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 bunch kale, discard center stalks and coarsely chop greens (cavolo riccio)
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley or 1 bunch chives, chopped for garnish
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Saute ground spicy italian sausage and crushed red pepper flakes in 1 T olive oil. (I use 8 quart stock pot.) Drain fat and move mixture into bowl, set aside.
- In same pan, add 1 T olive oil and saute white onions, garlic, bacon bits, and potatoes until onions are soft.
- Add water and chicken boullion powder and stir thoroughly. Bring to a gentle boil and continue cooking until potatoes are soft, 20-30 minute.
- Turn off heat, immediately add kale, sausage and heavy cream. Stir together.
- Garnish with chopped italian parsley or chives, serve hot with slices of bread.
This soup turned out fantastic. I did a few substitutions to make it a lighter dish. For example I used turkey bacon and I did not put the heavy cream in. It maintained the flavor but removing the heavy cream cut down on the calories.
Loved it! used homemade italian sausage. sub whole milk for the cream. shredded one carrot. used spinach in place of kale. yummy!
This soup is great! Thanks for the recipe!