1/1 Photo of My Kinda Zuppa Toscana
1 hr 5 mins
Italian flavors blend in a creamy, satisfying soup that has potatoes, italian sausage, and kale. I like a kick, so I use spicy sausage and add crushed red pepper flakes. The heavy cream really pulls this soup together and makes it restaurant-worthy! Don't forget a fresh, crusty loaf of bread for dipping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 medium white onions, diced
- 1/4 cup bacon bits (I use Hormel brand)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 5 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (to taste)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 bunch kale, discard center stalks and coarsely chop greens (cavolo riccio)
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley or 1 bunch chives, chopped for garnish
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1Saute ground spicy italian sausage and crushed red pepper flakes in 1 T olive oil. (I use 8 quart stock pot.) Drain fat and move mixture into bowl, set aside.
- 2In same pan, add 1 T olive oil and saute white onions, garlic, bacon bits, and potatoes until onions are soft.
- 3Add water and chicken boullion powder and stir thoroughly. Bring to a gentle boil and continue cooking until potatoes are soft, 20-30 minute.
- 4Turn off heat, immediately add kale, sausage and heavy cream. Stir together.
- 5Garnish with chopped italian parsley or chives, serve hot with slices of bread.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Kinda Zuppa Toscana
Serving Size: 1 (879 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 968.4
- Calories from Fat 537
- Total Fat 59.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.5 g
- Cholesterol 156.2 mg
- Sodium 2696.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh Italian parsley