Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Once you make this, you'll have a hard time going back to Spagetti sauce in a jar, I promise! My Mom has been making this since I was a kid. It is a big batch, that I make and eat and freeze the leftovers. Great to have in the freezer, can be served with any pasta. I've made this for many, many friends and people are always asking for my recipe, so here it is, straight from our family cookbook my sister assembled as a Christmas gift to my family. I've always wanted to publish a recipe on here, and this is my first pick, because it is my 'sure thing'. It is hard to mess up and everyone who eats it love it. I belonged to a dinner club and the ladies asked for a repeat - that is a huge compliment! Parents, I don't recommend leaving out the tabasco for kids, it is not spicy, but it needs the flavor. I think it, the sugar and the worcestershire sauce make it special. In fact, I like a little more tabasco than the recipe calls for. Also, I added the celeryand carrots (the more veggies the better I believe). I hope you enjoy this as much as my family has over the years.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 3 stalks chopped celery
- 2 diced carrots (add as much or as little as you like)
- 7 1⁄2 ounces tomato sauce
- 10 ounces tomato soup
- 13 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounces tomatoes (I like petite)
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt (more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds or 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Saute ground beef. Add onion, celery and carrots, cook until soft.
- Add every thing else! (tomato sauce, tomato soup, tomato soup, tomatoes, water, sugar, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, salt, oregano, garlic salt, basil, celery salt, and pepper).
- Simmer (covered because it splatters), for a good while (that's what it says). i usally don't time it, but let it sit on stove for at least an hour, some times two. I just add a bit more water if it gets too thick before supper time.
- Stir often, so it does not burn on bottom!
After having this I stood up at the dinner table and applauded the recipe !!!
This one makes me do the happy food dance!!
Your Mom did a very fine recipe, thank you for post it.