The fat content in this creamy meal is nice and low. This is a dish that my kids always eat every last bite of! Serve with a salad to balance out the meal. I use Catelli Smart Pasta because it has more fibre than whole wheat pasta and has a nice texture. For the photos that I posted, I used Homemade Dilled Noodles and Weight Watcher Pesto Sauce. It was delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb pasta (dry or fresh, any shape will work, penne, fettucine, rotini, etc.)
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pesto sauce (homemade or store-bought in jar)
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless salmon, seared and then broken with fork into chunks
- chopped fresh parsley, to sprinkle on completed dish (optional)
- Boil water in large pot for pasta.
- Heat oil in large nonstick pan and then add in flour until pasty. Gradually whisk in milk while stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Season with pepper.
- Add pasta to boiling water and set timer as directions advise. If pasta is done before the sauce, toss with a bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese and pesto until thoroughly mixed. Heat for a few minutes on low until thickened.
- Stir in salmon just before serving and heat through.
- Add pasta to salmon mixture and gently toss.
- Sprinkle parsley on completed dish.