Cook4 hrs 30 mins
You've tried the rest - now try the best!! I've been making this ground beef/tomato based sauce for years - it freezes well & can be used for lasagna & other pasta dishes. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. Since I don't measure the spices, I've estimated in order to share the recipe - but feel free to alter according to your own tastes. A little more red wine can't hurt either!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb medium ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can roma tomatoes (Italian)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven or heavy pot; add onion and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ground beef& salt and cook over medium heat, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains.
- Don't drain off fat as this helps the sauce to"cling" to the pasta.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce& tomato paste; mix well, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Use the red wine to rinse the tomato cans& remove any product left behind- then add to the Dutch oven.
- Add spices& mix well; bring the mixture to a boil, then lower heat& simmer for AT LEAST 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If you find that the sauce is getting too thick for your taste, add a little water.
- Remove bay leaves, ladle over your favourite type of spaghetti& sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.