I made this for dinner tonight and it tasted fabulous! It was the best Chicken Picatta recipe I have ever had. I made some changes since I first posted the recipe, and suggest you double the sauce if you want to top pasta in addition to the chicken. Personally, I serve it with garlic mashed potatoes. (I save the little garlic containers I get from Papa John's Pizza and mash them into my potatoes -- easy and yummy)
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, split and pounded flat (4, 6 oz. portions)
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and black pepper
- 3 whole eggs
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated (preferably a combination of grated parmesan and romano cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil (or as needed)
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup white zinfandel wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cold
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- PICCATTA BATTER:.
- Combine eggs, cheeses, parsley and basil together in a large mixing bowl.
- Flour the chicken breast in the flour mixture and dip it in the Piccatta batter.
- Coat evenly on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Carefully place it in the skillet and fry.
- When edges are golden brown, turn over and brown the other side.
- Transfer chicken from pan and place it in baking pan.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Using the pan the chicken was cooked in, drain all but 1/4 of the oil.
- Over medium heat add the shallots, garlic and herbs, saute until the shallots are transparent.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, white Zinfandel wine and reduce the liquid by 1/2.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove sauce from heat and whip in the cold butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour 2 oz. of the sauce on the plate and place the chicken on top and serve.