1 hr 10 mins
This is by Todd Wilbur: "It's amazing how many lousy clones for this delicious chili-like soup from Olive Garden are floating on the Web. Some are shared on message boards, others are displayed on sites in a collection of "actual restaurant recipes" (yeah, right!). But they all leave out obvious ingredients you can see, like the carrots, ground beef or two kinds of beans. Others don't get the pasta right--it's obviously ditali pasta (short little tubes). Then there's the recipe that really squeezed the seeds from my gourd--one that's floating around in MasterCook format that lists "Top Secret Recipes" as the source. But wait a minute! I've never created a clone for this dish--not here on the site and not in any book. So, after logging some time over a chopping block, an open flame, and a couple tasty glasses of Merlot, out popped this puppy. And this is the one, kitchen cloners! If you want the taste of Pasta e Fagioli at home, this is the only recipe that will fool in a side-by-side taste test. Accept no other imitation." So says Mr. Wilbur. A friend brought me some of this so I wouldn't have to cook one night and brought me this write up the next day. This is wonderful, whoever's recipe it is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, julienned (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can v-8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 0.5 (1/2 lb) package ditali pasta
- 1Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat.
- 2Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- 3Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water, over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
- 5Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.0
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 865.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 22.6 g