Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was making chicken wings for dinner one night, and I wanted a healthy, light, flavorful side dish to go along with it. I decided to make some sort of cous cous salad, Italian style. There is so much flavor in this dish, and it is so healthy, too! This dish is best served warm or room temperature.
- 1 (5 7/8 ounce) boxof garlic couscous
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato (either fresh or canned, if you're using canned, drain the juice first)
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 6 -8 chives, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 12 basil leaves, chopped into confetti-looking pieces (just stack the leaves on top of each other and cut across)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more if necessary
- appx. 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the cous cous according to the directions on the box. Add about 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the water before you add the cous cous. Once the water is boiled and you have added the cous cous, turn off the heat and let the cous cous sit for 5 minutes, then fluff it with a fork.
- While the water is waiting to boil or while the cous cous is sitting, toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium-high heat. Watch the pine nuts carefully, because they will burn easily. This may take about 5-7 minutes, but watch the pine nuts to make sure they do not get too brown.
- Once the cous cous is ready and the pine nuts are toasted, add both ingredients to a big mixing bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and the beans and mix together.
- Add the chopped chives and chopped basil and mix.
- Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- At this point, check the flavor and see if it needs more olive oil, salt, or pepper. (Using extra virgin olive oil will add even more flavor, but I used regular and it still came out great.).
- Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until the cous cous is no longer hot, and just warm/room temperature.
- Serve alongside your favorite main dish. Another great side dish to go along this dish is sauteed spinach or broccoli.