Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
An authentic recipe from northern Italy which made the delight of everyone I served it to.
Make and share this Osso Bucco recipe from Food.com.
- 4 veal shanks
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices, well mixed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 ounces dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (Italian)
- Place the flour mix in a flat plate and cover each side of ossobuccos.
- In a hot pan put in the olive oil and at high heat brown the ossobucco 2 at a time make sure each side is golden brown.
- Set the meat aside.
- In the same pan add the onions, carrot, celery, and bay leaf; lower heat and cook 5 minutes turning occ.
- ADD the wine; let boil and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes with juice and tomato paste, salt and pepper, and return the veal to the pot, reduce heat cover and let simmer for 1 hr 30 minutes.
- With a fork break the bigger pieces of tomatoes.
- Put1 ossobucco per plate; cover with sauce topped with gremolata.
- Serve with pennene.
I made this because I picked up some reduced for quick sale Beef Osso Bucco cuts. This went down well. I think I will just sprinkle the parsley on next time as I am not too keen on raw garlic. I made it while suffering from a horrid headache so I imagine I would have enjoyed it more if I was feeling better! Thank you!!!
SOO GOOD!!! 'EXCLUSIVELY CASALINGA' You remember that comment many years ago... I guess it is are little italian side that pop's out! BRAVO PAPPA !!!