Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I took this Italian dish and brought it to Texas! Texas is known for the cattle and chilies. Seasoned nicely and slow cooked so tender that the meat falls off the bones. No Knife needed here!
- 3 lbs veal shanks, 4 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced divided in 1/2
- 1 roasted poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped divided in 1/2 or
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped divided in 1/2
- 1 lime, zested & divided in 1/2
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano.
- Dust all sides of veal shanks.
- Whisk one cup water to remaing seasoned flour, set aside.
- In a hot large oven proof pan (A good choice Le Creuset) heat oil, just enough to cover bottom of pan.
- Brown shank for 4-5 minutes each side over medium high heat.
- Remove and set aside.
- In same pan add oil if needed and saute bell pepper, onions for 4 minutes add poblano, chipotles, and garlic cook for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chipotle sauce.
- Stir in the water with the seasoned flour.
- Add 1/4 cup parsley.
- Place shanks in pan top each with a wedge of lime and some sauce to coat. Saving half the lime for the Gremolata.
- Liquid should come up to the edge of the shanks. If not add addition water, wine or broth.
- Cover and place in oven cooking for 2 hours.
- Mix lime zest, remaining lime juice, garlic, and 1/4 cup parsley/cilantro.
- Plate over polenta, or recipe #218587 to soak up juices and to help calm the yummy heat.