1/10 Photos of Osso Buco Tender Tex Mex
1 hr 30 mins
I took this Italian dish and brought it to Texas! Texas is known for the cattle and chilies. Seasoned nicely and slow cooked so tender that the meat falls off the bones. No Knife needed here!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs veal shanks, 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced divided in 1/2
- 1 roasted poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped divided in 1/2 or
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped divided in 1/2
- 1 lime, zested & divided in 1/2
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano.
- 3Dust all sides of veal shanks.
- 4Whisk one cup water to remaing seasoned flour, set aside.
- 5In a hot large oven proof pan (A good choice Le Creuset) heat oil, just enough to cover bottom of pan.
- 6Brown shank for 4-5 minutes each side over medium high heat.
- 7Remove and set aside.
- 8In same pan add oil if needed and saute bell pepper, onions for 4 minutes add poblano, chipotles, and garlic cook for 1 minute.
- 9Add crushed tomatoes, chipotle sauce.
- 10Stir in the water with the seasoned flour.
- 11Add 1/4 cup parsley.
- 12Place shanks in pan top each with a wedge of lime and some sauce to coat. Saving half the lime for the Gremolata.
- 13Liquid should come up to the edge of the shanks. If not add addition water, wine or broth.
- 14Cover and place in oven cooking for 2 hours.
- 16Mix lime zest, remaining lime juice, garlic, and 1/4 cup parsley/cilantro.
- 17Plate over polenta, or Sweet Corn Risotto to soak up juices and to help calm the yummy heat.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Osso Buco Tender Tex Mex
Serving Size: 1 (662 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 255.1 mg
- Sodium 721.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 69.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo