Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In Spain, I had some version of paella almost every day. I love it! This version is by Tyler Florence. Best made in a LARGE paella pan or deep skillet.
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (3 lb) frying chickens, cut in 10 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- 4 cups short grain Spanish rice
- 6 cups warm water
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lobster tails
- 1⁄2 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over chicken; marinate for 1 hour, covered, in refrigerator.
- Heat oil in paella pan over medium-high heat. Saute chorizio until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- In sam pan, saute onions, garlic, and parsley for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook until mixture carmelizes a bit and flavors meld. Fold in rice and stir-fry to coat grains. Pour in water and simmer fo 10 minutes, gently moving pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs liquid.
- Add chicken, chorizio, and saffron. Add clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. Shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook.
- Give paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until rice is al dente, about 15 minutes.
- During last 5 minutes of cooking, when rice is filling the pan, add lobster tails. When paella is cooked and rice looks fluffy and moist, turn heat up for 40 seconds until you can small the rice toast at the bottom of the pan. Then it's perfect!