1/4 Photos of Paglia E Fieno Al Professore
This pasta dish is named after my ddddddh (il Professore), who served as chief taster. I prefer tagliatelle to fettucine -- the noodles are narrower. Prosciutto in Italian simply means ham, and I prefer cooked unsmoked ham for this recipe. Finally, when small cultivated mushrooms aren't available, I use dried porcini mushrooms as explained in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 small white fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced prosciutto, julienned
- 1/3 cup plum tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1 cup barely cooked chicken breast, julienned
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch powdered red pepper
- black pepper
- 4 ounces white and green tagliatelle pasta noodles
- grated parmesan cheese, as an accompaniment
- 1Saute the onion in a wide skillet in the olive oil over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Raise the heat slightly, add the garlic and sliced mushrooms, and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Add the prosciutto, tomato and butter and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the vermouth and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Add the julienned chicken, cream, worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Simmer and stir for a few moments, then turn off the heat.
- 6(To substitute the cultivated mushrooms with porcini mushrooms, soak 1/2-1 ounce dried porcini in warm water for 30 minutes. Lift out the porcini and wash 2-3 times in fresh water (porcini mushrooms can be sandy). Drain, chop and add to the sauce with the chicken.).
- 7Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, al dente.
- 8Just before the pasta is done, turn the heat under the sauce to low.
- 9Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the sauce. Toss evenly and rapidly.
- 10Divide the pasta between two heated plates and serve with the grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paglia E Fieno Al Professore
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 786.5
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 194.0 mg
- Sodium 272.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: