Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Roma tomatoes may be used in place of the canned I would however suggest to blanch the tomatoes and remove the peel before using in the recipe.
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (or use 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped)
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat (or omit the butter and use a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray) add in spinach and cook stirring until spinach wilts, remove to a bowl.
- Add in chopped bacon; cook until crisp (about 3 minutes) remove the bacon to the plate with the spinach; set aside (reserve about 1 tablespoon bacon fat in the skillet).
- Add in onion to the drippings and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in wine and drained diced tomatoes; cook stirring over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, then remove the skillet from heat.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente (omitting any salt and fat to the pot); Drain well then immediately add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet.
- Add in the spinach and bacon; stir well to combine, then place the skillet over low heat.
- In a small bowl combine the eggs with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; add to the pasta; cook over low heat tossing for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste and salt if desired.
- Remove from heat sprinkle the top with fresh parsley.
- Serve with more Parmesan cheese.
This is going down as one of my all time favorite recipes. Absolutely phenomenal. As my husband said this recipe is "special" but it is incredibly simple to make. We might just have this weekly! My only complaint was that there was not enough!
another great recipe from the famous kittencal! i omitted the eggs, as i always do for carbonaras (i know it's not technically a carbonara without them but i like it!) but other than that, made as posted. loved it! will make again! thanks for posting.