Roma tomatoes may be used in place of the canned I would however suggest to blanch the tomatoes and remove the peel before using in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (or use 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped)
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat (or omit the butter and use a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray) add in spinach and cook stirring until spinach wilts, remove to a bowl.
- 2Add in chopped bacon; cook until crisp (about 3 minutes) remove the bacon to the plate with the spinach; set aside (reserve about 1 tablespoon bacon fat in the skillet).
- 3Add in onion to the drippings and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- 4Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 5Add in wine and drained diced tomatoes; cook stirring over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, then remove the skillet from heat.
- 6Cook the spaghetti until al dente (omitting any salt and fat to the pot); Drain well then immediately add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet.
- 7Add in the spinach and bacon; stir well to combine, then place the skillet over low heat.
- 8In a small bowl combine the eggs with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; add to the pasta; cook over low heat tossing for 1-2 minutes.
- 9Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste and salt if desired.
- 10Remove from heat sprinkle the top with fresh parsley.
- 11Serve with more Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Carbonara With Spinach and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.4
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 784.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 21.7 g