1/1 Photo of Pasta Fagioli Soup With Smoked Sausage
1 hr 15 mins
If possible make this soup a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavor will intensify --- kielbasa or any dried smoked sausage will work good for this soup and any kind of beans may be used successfully, spinach is a great addition also --- serve with more Parmesan cheese on the side a large crusty loaf of bread --- you will *love* this soup! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sliced dried smoked sausage (can use more or less)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (quartered or very coarsley chopped)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth (can use half broth and water)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (or use 2 small packages OXO chicken boullion powder)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked small shell pasta
- 1In a large pot lightly brown the sausage slices on both sides then remove to a bowl.
- 2In the same pot heat the oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- 3Add in the garlic, pepper flakes, basil and oregano; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the sausage back to the pot along with the broth, bouillon powder, diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, both cans of beans, Parmesan cheese and 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper; stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 6Season with seasoned salt or white salt.
- 7Meanwhile in another pot cook the small shell pasta until al dente; drain then add to the soup before serving.
- 8Serve with more Parmesan cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Fagioli Soup With Smoked Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.9
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 1808.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: