2 hrs 30 mins
Papa Di's Note:
My Grandma's recipe that has been passed down for many years. It is a tomato based soup with Ditalini pasta, tiny meatballs, and great northern beans. I make several gallons for a church election supper once a year, and very seldom is there any left! My grandma could cook an old shoe and make it taste super.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, Finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 carrot, Finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, Finely chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- water, as needed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (Drained)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons parsley
- 3 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8 ounces ditalini
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1Add the EVO, onion, garlic, carrot and celery to a 1-2 gal. cooking pot.
- 2Cook on medium low heat until they are soft and the onions transparent (Appr. 15-20 mins).
- 3While the vegetables are cooking, mix the beef, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, 2 TBS. parsley flakes, 1/2 tbs. basil, bread crumbs, 2 Tbs. parseman cheese, S & P. Shape into tiny meatballs (Appr. 1/2 " in diameter) are fry until done. You may need to cook several batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
- 4After the vegetables have cooked, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, and the rest of the parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, bay leaf, sugar, & baking soda. Stir occasionally until foam disappears from the baking soda.
- 5Cook until well mixed and add the meatballs.
- 6Simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours and then add the beans. Simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes. Add water to the soup if it seems to get too thick.
- 7While the soup is simmering, Cook the ditalini noodles until they are a-denti. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- 8Add the pasta to the soup just before serving. Do not add the pasta to the soup too soon! The longer the soup cooks with the noodles, the larger the noodles get.
- 9Serve with a crusty bread, green salad, and extra Parmesan cheese.
- 10Measurements are not brain surgery. Be close, and you cannot make a mistake. ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Fazool
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.8
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 76.6 mg
- Sodium 1521.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.6 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 31.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground beef round