This is a recipe that I came up with that hopefully you will enjoy. I tweaked and re-tweaked it a few times before I came up with the final version which my family, friends and I really like.
- In a large saucepan/pot, on medium high burner, slowly bring all ingredients (except the vinegar) to a boil, then set burner on medium low.
- Simmer the sauce COVERED for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for another 1/2 hour UNCOVERED, stirring occasionally.
- Add and stir in the vinegar 5 minutes before done.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Unused sauce can be frozen.
- Note: This sauce is a bit on the tart side. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, gradually stir in sugar to taste until it is to your liking.