This is a recipe that I came up with that hopefully you will enjoy. I tweaked and re-tweaked it a few times before I came up with the final version which my family, friends and I really like.
- In a large saucepan/pot, on medium high burner, slowly bring all ingredients (except the vinegar) to a boil, then set burner on medium low.
- Simmer the sauce COVERED for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for another 1/2 hour UNCOVERED, stirring occasionally.
- Add and stir in the vinegar 5 minutes before done.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Unused sauce can be frozen.
- Note: This sauce is a bit on the tart side. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, gradually stir in sugar to taste until it is to your liking.
Yes, it is delicioso! I cut recipe in half, but otherwise made as written. Didn't add any sugar, as we don't care for sweet tomato sauces, so really liked the addition of the vinegar in this. It makes a thick sauce that really stayed on the ravioli. Also served with fried Italian turkey sausages. Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.
I had to add some sugar to this (didn't keep tabs on the amount). I like this because it is super simple. Most pasta sauces seem over complicated for something simple. I really like this! Thanks! Made for PAC -09