1/2 Photos of Pasta Shells With Zucchini & Spinach
I've taken this dish to pot lucks & served it at many dinner parties........ always received rave reviews. It can be served as the main dish or as a side dish. Personally, I like it pared with Chicken Parmesan & garlic bread. It requires a LOT of preparation (I've estimated the time) but you will not regret it. It can be made in advance & refrigerated or frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 bunch spinach (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1/4 cup basil
- 1FILLING: Melt butter over medium heat in a large, heavy dutch oven.
- 2Add onions& garlic; cook until onions are tender& wilted, stirring occasionally.
- 3PREPARE ZUCCHINI: Wash well, taste a bit of the skin from each& peel only if it tastes bitter.
- 4Grate& place in a colander in the sink.
- 5sprinkle with about 2 tsps of salt& let excess liquid drain for 30 minutes.
- 6Rinse with cold water to remove most of the salt& then toss on a clean tea towel (or paper towels) to dry before cooking.
- 7Add drained zucchini to dutch oven& cook until any moisture evaporates.
- 8PREPARE SPINACH: Wash well& trim off tough stems.
- 9Place leaves, with water from washing still clinging to them, in a large pot.
- 10Cook for a few minutes or just until leaves have wilted.
- 11Let cool, then wring dry in a clean tea towel& chop.
- 12Add spinach to the dutch oven and combine thoroughly.
- 13Remove from heat& allow the mixture to cool.
- 14Drain off excess liquid.
- 15Beat eggs in a medium sized bowl; add ricotta& beat until smooth.
- 16Add Parmesan and seasonings; mix well.
- 17Combine with vegetable mixture in the dutch oven, mix thoroughly; set aside.
- 18SAUCE: Melt butter in large, heavy pot; cook onions& garlic until tender and wilted.
- 19Add tomatoes, including their liquid, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- 20Cook for 30- 45 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- 21Purée and test for seasonings.
- 22Set aside.
- 23Pasta: Cook shells in a large pot of salted water, according to package directions until"el dente".
- 24Drain well and rinse with cold water to stop cooking and prevent sticking.
- 25Using a colander, gently shake shells to drain excess water.
- 26Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- 27Spoon some of the filling into each shell& arrange, stuffed side up, in the casserole dish.
- 28Pour sauce over the shells& sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 29(If you can only find small shells, just layer them on the bottom of the casserole dish, cover with a layer of filling, a layer of sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan).
- 30Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until heated through and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Shells With Zucchini & Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.1
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 941.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 29.6 g