Bone Man's Note:
This recipe is truly a "scratch" one but, after your culinary efforts, your guests will be mightily pleased to have tasted a pasta salad that is bright, new, and delicious. You will not find this recipe anywhere else because it took me about 6 months to develop it and I have only posted it HERE on Recipezaar! I wanted a pasta salad that used an Italian-based dressing and which packed a LOT of flavor, slightly creamy. Through much research, a few false starts and, blind luck, I got the pasta salad that I wanted. It's fairly easy to put together but it does take some time. It's great for a covered dish or as a side dish to either fried chicken or pork chops. I plan to use it for summer barbecues as well. And, once again, I have to thank Dee514 for her spectacular Italian Spice Blend recipe (Italian Blend Spice Mix) which I have listed in the directions and which is an integral ingredient. For SAINT PATRICK'S DAY, use all GREEN PASTA (spinach pasta)! I hope you enjoy this pasta salad as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces rotini pasta, tri-color, dry
- 2 tablespoons pimientos, diced, canned
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, chopped, canned, drained but not rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices, see directions
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix, dry, e.g, Good Seasons brand
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1Cook the pasta al dente, drain and place into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add the pimientos, artichoke hearts, and black olives.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, blend the Italian spices, Italian dressing mix, olive oil, vinegar, water and sugar. Then, add the mayonnaise last, especially if using a blender (do not blend mayonnaise for more than 30 seconds). Pour this dressing over the pasta mix.
- 4Top with the grated parmesan, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- 5NOTE: A batch of "Italian Spices" can be made by blending the following (Dee514's recipe): 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried marjoram, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Patrick's Artichoke Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.5
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 2.3 mg
- Sodium 214.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian salad dressing mix
white wine vinegar