1/2 Photos of Pizza Margherita
1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
14 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb plum tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped or
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 oz.)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 basic pizza dough, recipe The Art of Making the Perfect Pizza Dough
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal, for sprinkling on baker's peel
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 garlic clove, split to rub on crust (optional)
- 1Put pizza stone on oven floor if using a gas oven; on the lowest rack if using electric oven (remove all other racks in either case).
- 2Preheat oven to highest temperature (500). Allow about 1 hour to preheat the stone.
- 3Prepare the Topping:.
- 4Combine tomatoes, salt and 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 1 cup (10-15 minutes). Tranfers to bowl to cool.
- 5Toss together mozzarella and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- 6Shape the dough: See The Art of Making the Perfect Pizza Dough.
- 7Assemble and bake the pizza:.
- 8Sprinkle baker's peel with 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Carefully slide dough onto peel, then jerk peel once or twice: If dough sticks, lift it and sprinkle a little more cornmeal underneath.
- 9Optional: rub slit clove of garlic over dough.
- 10Spread tomato sauce evenly over dough, leaving 1/2 inch border and top sauce with mozzarella.
- 11Line up far edge of peel with far edge of stone and tilt peel, jerking it gently to start pizza moving. When edge of pizza touches stone, quickly pull back peel to transfer pizza to stone (do not pull pizza back).
- 12Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbling, about 8 minutes. Slide peel under pizza to remove from oven, then scatter basil leaves on top.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Margherita
Serving Size: 1 (1568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1269.9
- Calories from Fat 814
- Total Fat 90.4 g
- Saturated Fat 34.0 g
- Cholesterol 162.0 mg
- Sodium 2213.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.4 g
- Sugars 36.5 g
- Protein 62.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
basic pizza dough