2 hrs 45 mins
This is quite delicious. It came from a little booklet given to me by the Alitalia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw veal, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes or 1 lb canned tomato
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1/4 lb chicken giblets
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, half grated,half very thinly sliced
- 1Make sauce: Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter, and gently saute the onion, carrots, celery and bacon until they change color.
- 2Add the veal, let this brown, then pour in the wine.
- 3Cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Peel, seed, and finely chop the tomatoes.
- 5Add these to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6While the sauce cooks: Soak the mushrooms in warm water and finely chop the giblets.
- 7When the mushrooms have been soaking for 30 minutes, drain, pat dry, and chop finely.
- 8Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, at least 8 1/2 cups.
- 9Pour in the cornmeal, stirring constantly, lower the heat, and cook gently, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes, or until it is a thick, smooth mass.
- 10Pour it into a square baking pan, let it cool, and then cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 11Set aside.
- 12Melt 3 tablespoons butter and saute the mushrooms and giblets gently for 5 minutes.
- 13Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 14Rub a fairly large pie dish generously with butter.
- 15Cover with a layer of polenta, and spread with a layer of the meat sauce, another of polenta and one of mushrooms and giblets.
- 16Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and add a layer of sliced Parmesan.
- 17Dot with butter.
- 18Continue in this manner until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan and slivers of butter.
- 19Bake at 475 degrees 30 minutes, or until heated through and serve very hot.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Pastizada----Venetian Polenta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.1
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 341.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 19.8 g