Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is quite delicious. It came from a little booklet given to me by the Alitalia.
Make and share this Polenta Pastizada----Venetian Polenta Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw veal, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes or 1 lb canned tomato
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1⁄4 lb chicken giblets
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, half grated,half very thinly sliced
- Make sauce: Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter, and gently saute the onion, carrots, celery and bacon until they change color.
- Add the veal, let this brown, then pour in the wine.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Peel, seed, and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Add these to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- While the sauce cooks: Soak the mushrooms in warm water and finely chop the giblets.
- When the mushrooms have been soaking for 30 minutes, drain, pat dry, and chop finely.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, at least 8 1/2 cups.
- Pour in the cornmeal, stirring constantly, lower the heat, and cook gently, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes, or until it is a thick, smooth mass.
- Pour it into a square baking pan, let it cool, and then cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and saute the mushrooms and giblets gently for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Rub a fairly large pie dish generously with butter.
- Cover with a layer of polenta, and spread with a layer of the meat sauce, another of polenta and one of mushrooms and giblets.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and add a layer of sliced Parmesan.
- Dot with butter.
- Continue in this manner until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan and slivers of butter.
- Bake at 475 degrees 30 minutes, or until heated through and serve very hot.