Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Form Olive Garden. I haven't made these yet, but I think I will try it without the sauce. Update: I made these tonight and was going to make the sauce, but didn't have time. I had to substitue Italian bread crumbs for the croutons and I added chopped mushrooms stems. I also sprinkled with lemon juice after they were cooked and it was wonderful! I also used portobello and regular mushrooms-both were good!
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, with stems removed
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons, Ground Fine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet making sure sausage is crumbled into small pieces.
- Once browned drain fat and transfer to a paper towel to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with milk and then mix in the parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooled sausage and mix well (mixture should be wet but firm and hold together easily).
- Top portobella mushrooms with sausage mixture and bake in 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In sauce pan, heat cream and lightly boil until it is half its original volume being careful not to scorch it.
- Once it is reduced by half, mix in the Parmsan cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon 2 ounces of sauce over top of each mushroom.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh Italian Parsley or Fresh Basil.
Absolutely fantastic ... Quick and easy to make ... Only change I made was in the processing -- I ran the cooked italian sausage through the food processor real quick to make the pieces smaller. Make the stuffing ahead of time and keep in the freezer for a really quick weekday dinner.
Very tasty stuffed portabellas. The stuffing was really delicious and the sauce was nice and rich. These mushrooms make a great entree item. Made as directed, but reduced the amount of basil in the sauce. Made for Name That Ingredient tag, May, 2013.
Came across this recipe on accident and it is GOOD! I usually dont like stuffed mushrooms cuz they tend to get soggy or something but these turned out SO good! I used italian bread crumbs and 1/2 ans 1/2 for the cream since that is what I had on hand. I also topped each one with mozzarella cheese right at the end to melt over. I bbq-ed mine with indirect heat keeping the side burners on high, turned out perfect. Oh and the sauce is VERY good and you could even make more of it, you wont be disappointed. ;) Thank you for this recipe I WILL be making it again. :)