Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Form Olive Garden. I haven't made these yet, but I think I will try it without the sauce. Update: I made these tonight and was going to make the sauce, but didn't have time. I had to substitue Italian bread crumbs for the croutons and I added chopped mushrooms stems. I also sprinkled with lemon juice after they were cooked and it was wonderful! I also used portobello and regular mushrooms-both were good!
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, with stems removed
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons, Ground Fine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet making sure sausage is crumbled into small pieces.
- Once browned drain fat and transfer to a paper towel to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with milk and then mix in the parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooled sausage and mix well (mixture should be wet but firm and hold together easily).
- Top portobella mushrooms with sausage mixture and bake in 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In sauce pan, heat cream and lightly boil until it is half its original volume being careful not to scorch it.
- Once it is reduced by half, mix in the Parmsan cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- Spoon 2 ounces of sauce over top of each mushroom.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh Italian Parsley or Fresh Basil.