Give us a cold, rainy day here at 'Avalon' and we'll say - gnocchi for lunch! It's quick, easy and tastes divine! We always keep some gnocchi on hand in the pantry - literally for a 'rainy day'! This recipe makes 2 generous serves.
- TO COOK GNOCCHI Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Add salt.
- Add gnocchi.
- Cook gnocchi just until it floats to the top- DO NOT OVERCOOK, this will only take a couple of minutes.
- Drain and divide gnocchi into serving bowls.
- TO COOK SAUCE Start preparing the sauce while the water for the gnocchi is coming to the boil.
- Melt butter in a small frypan over a medium heat.
- When the butter starts to foam, tip the pan often to check the colour of the butter.
- As soon as the butter begins to take on a golden brown tinge, add the garlic and sage.
- Give the mixture a stir, then remove the pan immediately from the heat.
- The sage and garlic will continue to cook in the heat of the butter and the pan, while you drain the gnocchi and divide it into serving bowls.
- Spoon the burnt butter sauce over the gnocchi, distributing the pieces of garlic and sage evenly.
- Using a spoon, turn the gnocchi over lightly in each bowl so that it is evenly covered with sauce.
- Sprinkle over parmesan cheese and serve immediately.