Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is not your usual pizza - no tomato sauce, no meats, but a yummy potato-cheesey topping instead. Delicioso!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until they are easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain them, mash a quarter of them into a bowl (reserve 1 cup of the potato water), cut the remainder into small cubes, and reserve.
- To make the dough, dissolve the yeast in the reserved potato water.
- Combine with 1/4 cup of the olive oil, salt, and the mashed potatoes.
- Stir in the flour a little at a time, adding just enough to make a dough that does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 4 to 5 minutes until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- (This can also be achieved in an electric mixer with the dough hook.) Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a wet towel or plastic wrap and let it rest in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a large circle 1/8 inch thick and about 15 inches in diameter.
- Place the dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet, sprinkle with the mozzarella, Asiago and fontina, and top with the cubed potatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top of the pizza, then sprinkle it with fresh pepper, rosemary, oregano, basil, and Parmesan.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 25 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap, place in the oven, and bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and crispy.