Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking for a very vegetable-y risotto with lots of colour, and put this one together from several recipes. You can sear the capsicum under a hot grill or open flame for an added taste kick, and omit the cheese when serving to make meal vegan.
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 100 g spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin, diced
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shaved, to serve (optional)
- Put pumpkin on to steam before continuing (if not already cooked).
- Put stock on to boil in a medium saucepan, turn heat down to simmer when boiling.
- Fry onion in oil in a large saucepan until transparent, add capsicum, corn and carrot and fry another 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and stir over heat for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of hot stock and black pepper, bring quickly to the boil.
- Simmer till stock is absorbed, then gradually add remainder of stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed before adding more. If desired, add wine after stock.
- Stir continuously until rice is tender but firm.
- Stir in remaining vegetables and herbs, and stir gently till heated through.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and/or extra parsley.