Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with fresh pasta if possible.
Make and share this Ragu Bolognese recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 ounces thick slab bacon, run through the medium holes of the butcher's grinder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a 6 to 8 quart heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until the vegetables are translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the veal, pork and pancetta, increase heat to high, and brown the meat, stirring frequently. Add the tomato paste, milk, wine, and thyme and bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Season the ragu with salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and let cool if not using immediately. (The ragu can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; it can also be frozen for up to 1 month).