4 hrs 25 mins
Mr. Rabor's Note:
Bolognese is one of the most legendary dishes in Italy. However, outside of Bologna, where can one eat a true Ragù? Well, if you follow this recipe any kitchen you choose. My parents came from Italy back in the 60’s, and settled in Brooklyn. As a result, My family and friends had the pleasure of eating some of the best homemade Italian food. These dishes of course, prepared by my Mom and sometimes Dad. Now, I share my fortune with you. Mangiare! (eat)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 3 ounces pancetta or 3 ounces parma ham (prosciutto) or 3 ounces mortadella
- 2 lbs ground meat (beef chuck, veal and pork shoulder)
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 chicken livers
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups whole milk (divided) or 1 cup cream 1 cup milk (divided)
- 2 lbs whole tomatoes, crushed or 2 lbs passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste at end
- 1Prepping makes the whole experience more enjoyable.
- 2Finely chop pancetta.
- 3Finely dice carrots, onions and celery.
- 4Wash livers carefully, then flatten livers and chop.
- 5Warm milk and chicken stock.
- 6Peel Garlic.
- 7In a Dutch oven over medium heat add 2 tbsp oil with 2 tbsp butter. Add the onions and sauté until the onions are soft, 8 – 10 minute. Do not brown.
- 8Add the remaining butter and olive oil.
- 9Add carrots and celery, increase heat to med-high, sauté until they start to brown.
- 10Add pancetta, prosciutto, mortadella or your choice of any combo of meats and sauté one to two minutes.
- 11Remove mixture from pan to a bowl and reserve.
- 12Add chicken liver and stir frequently 1 to 2 minutes.
- 13Add ground beef or meat blend and brown (do not stew meat, if you need to, do so in stages)
- 14Return vegetable mix to Dutch oven.
- 15Add tomato paste to meat and vegetable mix and brown paste for about 10-15 minute important step, develops deep flavor.
- 16Add wine to deglaze, allow it to evaporate 4 - 7 minutes.
- 17Add 1 cup warm milk and pinch nutmeg, allow it to come to a boil, carefully reduce milk for 3 - 5 minutes.
- 18Add passata or whole tomatoes crushed my hand or potato masher.
- 19Add chicken stock and whole garlic cloves stir. Cover and continue to cook for 3 to 4 hours over very low heat or place into oven at 275 for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 20Several minutes before serving mash garlic cloves against wall of Dutch oven and add remaining milk continue to cook 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ragu Bolognese (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.0
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 260.8 mg
- Sodium 341.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: