This recipe comes from a local Italian bakery shop. They are made with raisin filling or canned apple pie filling also. Give them a try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lard, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- flour, for rolling dough
- 1Wash raisins.
- 2Add to the boiling water on low heat in saucepot.
- 3Add remaining filling ingredients, salt, sugar, flour, juice, and cook just until thick.
- 4Remove from heat and let cool well.
- 6Mix egg with vanilla and add enough cream or whole milk to make one cup of liquid.
- 7Combine remaining ingredients flour, sugar, salt, and lard and lifting to air and rub to make a coarse pea size crumb.
- 8Add in liquid and just combine to make a ball of pastry.
- 9Divide pastry into two .
- 10Dust a board with the flour for rolling and roll one section to fit a 17 x 14 sided ungreased cookie sheet.
- 11Spread on cooled raisin filling, or canned apple filling.
- 12Roll second half of dough, and place nicely on the top, sealing edges.
- 13Prick all over top with a fork and brush with more cream.
- 14Sprinkle with granulated fine or coarse sugar over evenly.
- 15Bake 350° for 25 minutes until golden.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Squares Italian Bakery Style
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.0
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 236.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g