Prep1 hr 30 mins
From Joy of Cooking. This Provencal vegetable melange can be served chilled with a splash of lemon or herb vinegar. Or serve it warm as an accompaniment to lamb or chicken or as a vegetarian entree with saffron rice.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (1 lb)
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped seeded peeled
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Saute in a large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat until the vegetables are golden and just tender, 10 to 12 minutes: 1/4 C olive oil, eggplant and zucchini.
- Remove the vegetables and reduce the heat to medium-high. In the same pan, cook until the onions are slightly softened: 2 T of olive oil and onions.
- Add and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender but not browned, 8 to 12 minutes: red pepper and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add: tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini and cook until everything is tender, about 20 minutes more. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in: basil.