From Ina Garten. This is an amazing recipe, rich with the mascarpone and wine. It is different from other posted recipes here. To make vegetarian sub vegetable stock.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups leeks, white and light green parts chopped (2 leeks)
- 1 cup fennel, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 -5 cups chicken stock, simmering and preferably homemade
- 1 lb frozen asparagus
- 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese, preferably Italian
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus extra for serving
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and fennel and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add the rice and stir for a minute to coat with the vegetables, oil, and butter. Add the white wine and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed. Add the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. This process should take 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the asparagus diagonally in 1 1/2-inch lengths and discard the tough ends.
- When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, add asparagus to the risotto with the peas, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.
- Whisk the lemon juice and mascarpone together in a small bowl. When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone mixture plus the Parmesan cheese and chives. Set aside, off the heat, for a few minutes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve hot with a sprinkling of chives and more Parmesan cheese.