Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An extremely easy and healthy vegetarian dinner or side dish. I discovered this recipe in Shape magazine. I made just a few changes considering I couldn't find all the ingredients needed from the original recipe at my local grocery store. Needless to say, it turned out to be delicious!
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 eggplant, cut into bite-size (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slivers
- 4 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta (I used homemade fettucini noodles, but any pasta will work)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- In a medium bowl, add zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, onion, bell pepper, 2 teaspoons basil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and toss.
- Place in a single layer on a large cookie sheet lined with foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife and just beginning to brown.
- Cook pasta. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add sour cream, vegetables, 2 teaspoons basil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and toss to combine.
- Crumble feta cheese over the top.
Very tasty and not time-consuming to prepare. We enjoyed it, and so did our dog (who ate the pasta, and then had some of the sauce on her kibble)!
I loved the taste of the sour cream with the roasted vegetables. It reminded me of stroganoff, though not overwhelming. Yum!
Well, I wish I had followed the recipe more as it was written. I halved the recipe and used zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1/2 a red pepper and 1 clove of garlic. I was out of onion and did not have an eggplant or other good roasting veggies on hand. I tossed this with spaghetti and added a touch more balsamic at the end, because it seemed a bit on the bland side. Unfortunately, I was out of feta cheese as well, so I tossed with 1 extra Tbsp of sour cream and added some cubed mozzarella. It was very tasty, but it would've been a knockout with the feta. An extra star for being so healthy. Thanks!